St John’s Colinton Mains was formed as a union of two churches on 1 January 2014 – from the former St John’s Oxgangs and Colinton Mains Parish churches.
The two former churches have histories stretching back to the 1950s, when they were established to serve the needs of the rapidly expanding local communities.
The current parish includes the areas of Firhill, Colinton Mains, Oxgangs and Hunters Tryst.
The church building was opened in 1954 and is a B listed building. The church is located in the centre of the parish. The former St John’s church building was sold for commercial development in July 2016.
The new combined parish of St John’s Colinton Mains lies in the south-west of the city due south of Craiglockhart Hill and in the shadow of the Pentland Hills. It is primarily suburban residential in character comprising:
- in Colinton Mains both inter-war four-in-a-block housing and post-war council housing of terraced villas and three and four storey flats, and;
- in Oxgangs – a mixed estate of three and four storey tenements and terraced and semi-detached villas, many of which have been sold under right-to-buy scheme.
- to the south lies the private housing areas of New Swanston and Caiystane while between the two is the army married quarters of Dreghorn;
- in recent years the landmark multi-storey flats in Firrhill were demolished and have been replaced with modern low rise housing.